The Yoga for Survivors® program evolved from the inspiring yoga teacher, Laura Kupperman and her own cancer diagnosis in 2003. Its mission is to share the healing path of yoga with cancer survivors worldwide by providing safe, accessible classes to survivors of any type of cancer, at any stage of recovery. Yoga was one of the cornerstones of Laura’s healing and since 2005 she has established and taught Yoga for Survivors® classes in clinics, hospitals, cancer centers, and yoga studios in Colorado.
I was trained by Laura and join in her mission to bring Yoga for Survivors to the Santa Cruz community and it’s surrounding areas; to aid survivors in their journey in coping and healing from cancer.
Benefits of Yoga for Cancer Survivors
- Decreased stress and pain, and increased well-being
- Improved quality and quantity of sleep
- Enhanced energy, digestion, joint health, circulation, respiration, & endocrine function
- Camaraderie with other (wonderful) yogi-survivors
- Soothe anxiety, increased sense of groundedness. Be more comfortable in your body, mind, and spirit when you have been diagnosed with cancer
Pre-Requisites & Information
- Classes include postures that safely stretch, strengthen, and relax the body. Group class is appropriate for you if:
- You are reasonably mobile and can move independently
- Your needs can be addressed in a group setting
- All surgical incisions are healed
- Your platelet count is 20,000+
- Complete and submit the health questionnaire (provided upon scheduled first class)
Participants practice at their own pace; class is as gentle or challenging as you make it. You do not have to be experienced, coordinated, or feel good to come to class. Just come!
For those people who don’t match the above criteria, 1-on-1 sessions are available.
Before Your First Class
You MUST contact me prior to your first class and complete the health questionnaire. No exceptions. It is crucial that I am are aware of your health history in order to maintain a safe and positive environment. Please arrive at your first class at least 10 minutes early. Thank you for your cooperation.
What to Bring
Please bring your own yoga mat and wear comfortable (but not overly baggy) clothes in which you can move freely. You may want to dress in layers.
Medical Disclaimer: A Yoga for Cancer Survivor class serves as‘integrative‘ approach to healing and it is proven to work best when combined with the required/traditional medical care prescribed by Doctors Orders (DO). They are not to be mistaken for long-term therapy or cure. It is always recommended that the student consult and get authorization from his or her physician or medical team before starting any physical activity and yoga practice.